ACTION ALERT: CONTACT LEGISLATORS TO OVERRIDE VETO OF SENATE BILL 1
The Illinois Senate will return to Springfield on Sunday, August 13 while the House returns August 16. The chambers are expected to take action on Governor Rauner's Amendatory Veto of Senate Bill 1. The AV of Senate Bill 1 does damage to schools and is contradictory to the premise of evidence-based funding to provide adequacy and equity in the following ways:
- Freezing school district costs at 2017 levels by deleting an annual review of adequacy targets for each district;
- Deleting a pension cost shift accommodation, which will force a property tax increase;
- Even if a district is currently below adequate funding, they will lose money if their enrollment declines;
- Removes minimum state funding protections, opening the door to disinvestment in the future;
- Removes pro-ration protection for the poorest school districts;
- Punishes districts under PTELL/TIF laws by forcing districts to claim access to revenue they can't actually access, and decreasing the ability to access state funds based on local wealth.
(Click here to learn more about the changes in the SB 1 AV)
We need your help to tell legislators to override the Amendatory Veto of Senate Bill 1. It is not a perfect bill, but after many years of negotiation and debate, this is the closest Illinois has come to overhauling a grossly inadequate and inequitable funding formula to the benefit of ALL children.
Please call and email your Senators and Representatives today.
Stay tuned to @ILPrincipalsGR for up-to-date news on SB 1.